Sitting incorrectly for prolonged periods puts a great strain on your back, neck and arms. It can cause postural pains such as low back pain, stiffness getting up from sitting, shoulder and neck ache and ‘tennis’ elbow pain.
The symptoms come on gradually over weeks, months or years. Therefore, it is important that your work station is set up correctly to encourage good posture and keep the strain on your body to a minimum. This will help to prevent posture related problems.
The most common causes of postural pains are:
- sitting in a slumped position
- poking your head forward to read the screen
- stretching your arms too far to reach equipment on your desk such as the mouse
- twisting to one side repeatedly
- staying in the same position for long periods of time
Read our free PDF for tips on improving your posture at work.